MAMMOTH MOUNTAIN OPENS
6th November 2019
The California resort fired up its lifts on Saturday. It only closed for skiing just over 3-months ago. So, what’s new for winter?
The resort is known for a long and snowy season, but last winter some records were broken.
Mammoth had its snowiest February and May on record, as well as almost over 17.8m of snow at the top of the resort.
We reported on it all until the resort closed at the end of July.
Well, now it’s started all over again.
It opened on Saturday 9th November.
“Get the 19/20 season going with the traditional Broadway Express banner breakthrough and annual beer toast, then take some turns for good times with good friends celebrating the new season,” said the resort on social media.
The snow cannons have been firing round the clock:
And here is the view from a couple of resort web cams:
The countdown has been on:
PlanetSKI opened its season at Mammoth a couple of years back in 2017 when our editor, James Cove, passed through.
See here to get a flavour of the resort and what’s on offer:
What’s new for 2019/20:
- Snowmaking: Mammoth’s snowmaking infrastructure will benefit from a $1.3M upgrade, increasing both the efficiency and capability of the system. Early season conditions at Mammoth are routinely among the best in the country, the upgraded snowmaking system will help ensure that moving forward.
- Ski Free: Daily service on United from Los Angeles (LAX) San Francisco (SFO) and Denver (DEN) continues this winter. For the first time guests flying from (or through) SFO and DEN will ski free on the day of arrival starting on Jan 6. Just show your boarding pass at any ticket window to redeem.
- Minaret Cinemas: Mammoth Lakes’ movie theatre is getting a major upgrade. Now serving a selection of beer and wine, and with seating upgrades including larger recliner-style seats.
Food and drink:
- Canyon Lodge Renovations: There’s a new bar, restaurant, 2,500 square feet of interior space and more than 200 new seats. The additions include:
- Fowl Language: New this winter at Eagle Lodge, the Fowl Language restaurant will serve up hand-breaded, southern-style chicken sandwiches and tenders, with a focus on fresh preparation and homestyle flavours.
- Sierra Grind: The the new coffee shop will offer a full espresso bar as well as freshly baked pastries, sweets, and a selection of handcrafted sandwiches.
- Dos Alas CubaRican Cafe: This quaint spot offering tropical/Caribbean and Spanish cuisine informed by the owners’ Cuban and Puerto Rican heritage is a fantastic and heart-felt addition to the local food scene.
- Noodle-ly: Specializing in Vietnamese and Thai noodle soup, Noodle-ly is set to open this fall on Old Mammoth Road adjacent to Vons.
- Public House Tap Room: The bar opened in February 2019 and is set to have its first full season. At the Public House it’s all about the beer with a rotating selection of 50 beers available on tap.
- El Charro Taqueria: The new taco spot has been a local favourite since opening this summer. Serving authentic Mexican street-style tacos and burritos made with fresh ingredients in a no-frills setting.
For the Spirit of the Mountains – PlanetSKI: Number One for ski news