Maison Sport’s Home Workout Guide
12th May 2020
Last modified on May 8th, 2021
With more time on our hands and gym closures many people are choosing to do home workouts. Our friends at Maison Sport have created their own ski related home workout.
The company, which allows you to book your independent ski and snowboard instructor online, is rather good at coming up with useful advice.
Here are a few of them we featured last season.
Maison Sport has many highly skilled and active instructors and works together to create a great ski related home workout which you can see below.
It suggests starting with 2 lots of 5 reps for the exercises.
Once you feel comfortable with these exercises you can start to increase the volume to 3 lots of 10 reps.
For the plank, build up the duration of the exercise slowly, starting with 30 seconds then increasing by 15-second increments (30s, 45s, 60s, 75s etc).
Exercise 1: Squats and squat jumps
The muscles responsible for holding you in place while you ski and protecting your knees are your quadriceps; these muscles work incredibly hard while you ski.
- Stand upright with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Simultaneously push your hips back, while bending your knees down until your thighs are parallel to the floor, keeping your hips back and chest proud
- Now reverse the motion until you are standing back upright
To switch it up a bit, and to build that explosive quality in your muscles which is integral for sharp turns when skiing, try squat jumps.
When you reach the bottom of your squat, jump upwards to release your position, making sure to land safely.
Exercise 2: Lunges
As well as squats, lunges also work multiple muscles at once, and are great for improving your quadriceps and your balance.
- Stand upright with your feet shoulder-width apart and take one step forward
- Lower your hips down to the point where each knee forms a right angle, without the one behind you touching the floor
- Keep your chin up, back straight, chest proud, and glutes tensed
For an extra challenge, hold some dumbbell weights by your side to make those lunges that little bit harder!
Exercise 3: Plank
- Lie face down and bring your arms underneath your chest, with forearms and elbows on the floor
- Push your pelvis upwards, resting on your elbows and toes
- Hold the position for 30 seconds, keeping your body in a straight line
- Repeat, building up the length of time the position is held for over your training program
Exercise 4: Criss Cross
This abs crunching and twisting exercise hits your muscles alongside some explosive cardio, training up your core whilst aiding general fitness and stamina.
- Lie down on your back with knees bent
- With your hands behind your head, lift your head and shoulders off the floor
- Bring both feet off the floor, with one leg out straight and one at a 90-degree angle
- Twist forwards, bringing your right elbow to your left knee, then swapping the position to the other side
For an extra challenge, increase the speed you are twisting and complete more repeats in between sets.
Exercise 5: Bridge
- Lie flat on your back with your arms at your sides
- Bend and bring your knees up
- Tighten your abs and glutes, whilst raising your hips to form a straight line from shoulders to knees
- Squeeze and hold your core