Arapahoe Basin in Colorado Still Looking to Reopen for Skiing
24th May 2020
There is a chance the ski resort could open later this week. If so what will skiing and snowboarding look like as covid-19 restrictions will be in place and enforced? NEW
“We have not stopped trying to re-open,” the Chief Operating Officer, Alan Henceroth, has written in his latest blog.
“We think doing so would be awesome for Colorado, Summit County, Arapahoe Basin, our guests and, especially, our employees. There has been some encouraging news about the possibility. Let’s hope that we get positive news soon.”
The governor of Colorado, Jared Polis, is due to make a decision on whether ski resorts can reopen on Monday 25th May and it ould open as early as May 27th.
It is understood A-Basin is the only resort in Colorado considering reopening.
It is one of the highest with some snow remaining. Before the pandemic it had planned t close in early June.
Some years it has offered skiing and snowboarding into July.
If the resort is allowed to reopen it “will be different from anything you have ever experienced at Arapahoe Basin.”
– Skier numbers will be limited and reservations will be required.
– The vast majority of the available space will be for pass holders and not everyone will get the chance to ski every day.
– Social distancing will be strictly enforced
– Face masks will be compulsory in the base area, in the lift line, in restrooms and other places.
– Tailgating and social gatherings will be prohibited.
“We can party next season,” Henceroth wrote.
“The re-opening is all about giving people a chance to ski and ride.”
“If we get the chance, we all need to conduct ourselves in a responsible way to continue to stay open.”
For a look at what ski resorts might look like next winter take a look at this recent PlanetSKI story as we look at what may be on offer:
Here at PlanetSKI we’ll let you know the outcome….