Mixed Picture for Australian Ski Resorts
28th July 2021
Ski Resorts in Victoria are set to welcome back skiers and snowboarders but Covid-19 travel restrictions remain in New South Wales. NEW
Mt Hotham, Mt Buller, Falls Creek and other ski areas in Victoria report surging interest in people wanting to get back on the slopes after travel restrictions were lifted.
People from Melbourne can now visit the ski resorts.
Travel to the resorts is permitted provided visitors and workers have had a negative COVID test within the previous 72 hours.
More fresh snow today to help celebrate lifts spinning again! ⛷️🏂 Our mountain team are working hard to open more terrain as soon as possible. 👌 Please note all guests must to show proof of a negative COVID test within 72hr prior to visiting. 👉 https://t.co/Cdx2L0ZXZ1 pic.twitter.com/W9cshGjdgB
— Hotham (@_hotham) July 28, 2021
There is currently good snow conditions in Mt Buller and 1.2m of snow has fallen during the lockdown.
Resort staff are now digging out ski lifts and other facilities.
People will need to wear masks inside and outdoors.
Households can only travel within the state in their family unit, and visitors to homes are still not allowed.
Public gatherings are permitted with a maximum of 10 people.
The strict rules of no households mixing mean there could be cancellations.
Plus the government-funded respiratory clinics are only able to provide tests to people displaying coronavirus symptoms and anyone tested must isolate until they get their result.
This year’s season in Victoria has already been disrupted by two lockdowns and business lost an estimate $110min the recent 12-day.
The state government announced it would provide $9.8 million in support for the alpine industry.
The minister for tourism, Martin Pakula, said the funds would help businesses on and off the mountains.
In New South Wales the resorts will not be seeing visitors from nearby Sydney as the lockdown has been extended for another 4-weeks as Covid-19 cases continue to rise.
The state Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, said it was not possible for the city to exit lockdown on Friday as had been planned.
But experts warn that restrictions in Sydney could last until September or even later.
It is a blow to the main ski resorts of Thredbo and Perisher that are heavily dependent on people visiting from Sydney.
More than 2,500 people have been infected in Sydney’s worst outbreak in 2021.
In New South Wales there were 177 new cases on Wednesday, the most in a day since March 2020.