What’s New in SalzburgerLand in Austria for This Season
31st October 2021
Last modified on November 4th, 2021
In SalzburgerLand resorts have taken advantage of the pandemic pause to invest in improved ski facilities, plus launch new and refurbished hotels.
The main 2021-22 winter season starts in mid November and lasts into May at some of the higher resorts such as Obertauern and Zell am See-Kaprun.
Skiing and snowboarding is already underway on the Kizsteinhorn glacier above Kaprun.
The main ski regions in the province:
- Zell am See-Kaprun
- Salzburger Sportwelt (Eben, Skt Johann, Wagrain-Kleinarl, Flachau, Altenmarkt-Zauchensee, Filzmoos and Radstadt)
- Gastein and Hochkönig (Mühlbach, Dienten, Maria Alm) – and fine individual resorts such as Obertauern, Rauris, Werfenweng and Grossarl.
For further details see here: SalzburgerLand.
SalzburgerLand’s 22 ski resorts have launched 20 new hotels, apart’hotels and apartments and opened 9 new restaurants, après ski bars and cafés.
On the slopes, the pandemic did not stop the drive to modernise and improve: the region boasts 5 new lifts, 2 new pistes and important upgrades throughout.
SalzburgerLand’s winter welcome includes exciting new challenges:
The 12 Peaks Trophy (92km/10,000m altitude difference) invites skiers to conquer 12 peaks across 5 valleys in one circuit while monitoring their time via skiline, with prizes.
The Ski your Limit Skicircus route is a serious test – 7 hours to cover 65km of pistes, 32 lifts, and an altitude difference of 12,400m.
Skikeriki tour at Grossarl: groups (maximum 25 people) can enjoy empty slopes from 7.30-9.30am followed by a typical mountain breakfast in a cosy hut on the slopes.
Snow Space Salzburg and Wagrain Kleinarl have each launched a gastro-themed route for skiing foodies to indulge in.
For non-skiers there are beautiful hiking and snowshoeing trails throughout SalzburgerLand.
Relaxing thermal waters and spa facilities include a natural swimming lake open year round in the Gastein Valley, famous for its healing caves.
Time a visit to the Gastein Valley to coincide with one of its magical full-moon dinners.
The variety of flexible lift pass options give access to individual ski areas or extensive combinations of resorts.
The largest is the Ski ALPIN CARD that encompasses a total of 408km across the Zell am See and Saalbach areas.
Pistes and Lifts
– Grossarl: launched the Fischbacher, a gentle beginner’s slope including a magic carpet where kids and adults can try skiing for the first time; (opened in lockdown) – access is free of charge.
– Snow Space Salzburg has launched for this season:
o Panorama Link (opened in lockdown) provides a continuous link for Sankt Johann in Salzburg with Flachau, Wagrain, Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl.
o A new red piste at Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl (Shuttleberg) runs alongside the Lumberjack Shuttle.
o A new Mooslehen 6er chairlift replaces the 2er chairlift in Filzmoos.
o A new Flying Mozart 10er gondola Wagrain/Kirhcboden to Grießenkar.
o A new Gabühel 10er gondola replaces the old 2er chairlift in Dienten; also, a modernised reservoir has been installed at the new mountain station.
• Zwölferhorn/Wolfgansee: 28-cabin Zwölferhorn gondola (opened in lockdown).
• Hotel Selina Bad Gastein (www.selina.com/austria/bad-gastein – July 2021). Near the waterfall, original 19th century façade/stylish interior: 90 rooms, wellness area, restaurant, bakery, café.
• Hotel Blü Bad Gastein (www.hotelblue.at – summer 2021). At the heart of the old village, contemporary chic: roof-top garden, Himmelblü Spa, restaurant.
• Schider Aparthotel Bad Gastein (www.dasschider.at – summer 2021). Central location, ergonomic design, relaxing decor: wellness area, lounge, playroom, Stūbe-cum-community kitchen, shop.
• The Storks Bad Hofgastein (www.the-storks.com – August 2021). Historic building in the centre, modern interior, art works throughout: 31 rooms, lounge with small library, Zirbenstüberl, Viennese coffee house, sun terrace.
• Tante Frida (3*) in Maria Alm (www.ederfrida.com – December 2021). Close to the centre, funky bright décor: 84 rooms – 7 fun themes geared to kids, restaurant, waterworld, indoor and outdoor adventure areas, relaxation room, gym, cinema. Cycle hire and treatments available.
• Alpenparks Hotel & Apartments at Mühlbach (www.alpenparks.at – summer 2021). Close to Karbachalm cable car, high quality: 39 apartments (2-8 people), well-equipped with balcony, loggia or terrace, parking, bistro, playroom, wellness area, optional hotel services.
• POST Maria Alm (www.post-mariaalm.at – summer 2021). On village square, cool Alpine-chic: 9 new apartments in the original building, sauna, pool, infra-red cabin, parking.
• Lerchpeuntgut, Tamsweg (www.lerchpeuntgut.at – December 2021). Pretty situation 15 minutes’ walk from the village centre, subtle Austro-Nordic décor: 16 new chalets with sauna and garden; main building has more apartments a reception, lounge, shop and swimming lake – total capacity 128 people.
• Tauernlodges in Uttendorf (www.alps-resorts.com – December 2021). Close to the natural bathing lake, top quality, polished style: 14 luxury double chalets (up to 10 people) comprise 4-5 bedrooms, 1-3 bathrooms, living area, sauna, balcony or terrace with views.
• Carpe Solem in Rauris (www.alps-resorts.com – July 2021). Ski-in/ski-out position, sophisticated décor: 79 apartments, impressive spa, Alpine roof-garden, restaurant.
• GoldStück in Saalbach-Hinterglemm (www.goldstueck-saalbach.at – summer 2021). Rural setting, sophisticated style adults-only hotel: 28 exquisite rooms, Spa, Finnish and bio saunas, heated infinity pool, private areas, dining room and bar.
• Hofgut in Wagrain (www.hofgut.com – October 2021). Central position, elegant design, sophisticated decor: 40 apartments (minimalist studios to luxury penthouse apartment), restaurant vaMoos, spa, choice of indoor/outdoor pools, sauna, Hammam, exclusive adults zone, large games facility (bowling/trampolining) and mini-park for toddlers.
• MY JoAnn suites & apart in Kleinarl (www.joann.at – 18 December 2021). Ski-in/ski-out at the Kleinarl gondola valley station, modern ambience, sustainable construction: exclusive apart’hotel (sleep 2-6), ski depot and sports shop in complex. Heated in and outdoor pools, steam room, sauna, kids adventure area on 2 floors. Adjacent to playground and ski school.
• Harry’s Home Bischofshofen (www.harrys-home – July 2021). Central position near the station, stylish budget aparthotel: 92 well-equipped studios & apartments, community laundry area, vending machines, penthouse wellness area, playroom.
• Ski & Sonnen Resort Alpendorf Skt Johann in Salzburg (www.alpentravel.com – winter 2021). Five minutes’ walk from Gernkogel lift, traditional Austrian décor: 11 hotel rooms, 22 apartments, restaurant, wellness zone, pool, ski room underground car park.
• Filzmooserhof (4*) in Filzmoos (www.filzmooserhof.at – summer 2021). Heart of the village, family run, traditional, cosy: launches 4 new 2-bedroom 2-storey luxury chalets, each with Finnish sauna, terrace or garden. Hotel facilities and weekly programmes included.
• Uncle Jack’s in Flachau (www.unclejacks.at – December 2021). Centre of village, ski-in/ski-out, trendy-casual: 10 rooms and suites, jungle-themed spa, terrace with hot-tubs and rocking chairs, bar-lounge, parking.
• The Place Boutique & Design Hotel Flachau (www.flachau.com – winter 2021). Heart of village, contemporary style: selection of rooms (2, 3 or 4 people), restaurant, bar/lounge, roof-terrace chill-out area includes sauna, Jacuzzi & tea bar.
• Evers Apartments in Flachau (www.eversflachau.at – December 2021). Central location, classic Austrian-chic: 3 apartments (up to 7 people), cross-country skiing, gondola and ski bus stop a couple of minutes’ walk, rooftop terrace and sauna, daily breakfast delivery optional from local bakery.
• First Peak (Gsund und Aktiv Hotel) in Zauchensee (www.first-peak-zauchensee.at – 3rd December 2021). A la mode flair, relaxed ambience: 74 rooms/suites most with balcony, 4 restaurants, bar, terrace, kids & teens room, sports shop, 3-story wellness area including heated pools, relaxation lounge, saunas/steam baths and gym, and underground parking.