PLANETSKI VISITS SITE OF FIRST NEW US SKI AREA FOR 40 YEARS
25th January 2020 | James Cove, Utah
Last modified on May 15th, 2021
Mayflower will be next to Deer Valley in Utah. Some are welcoming it while others question the need for yet another ski resort.
This project does not require building a whole new ski resort, though there will be extensive new slopes.
6,000 acres of them.
It will likely be linked to neighbouring Deer Valley and negotiations are well underway.
The ski terrain will come into the heart of the village and the majority of new runs will have views east to the Jordanelle Reservoir and State Park.
Here is a current view from Deer Valley, and it will look similar from Mayflower.
- Multiple ski lifts, that carry visitors and skiers from the Village to the top of the mountain.
- A village ski slope frontage of more than 10 acres extending over a half-mile, providing the largest “ski beach” in the world and an associated amount of resort real estate.
- Development of a fully integrated “mountain village” with 1560 residential units; 825 hotel rooms + commercial units; 250,000 retail + commercial units; 600 day-skier parking spaces in addition to dedicated parking for all on-site facilities; a 68,000 square foot recreation complex and 95,000 square feet of dedicated floor area for workforce housing.
“With neighbours Deer Valley Resort and Park City Mountain, the vision for Mayflower Mountain Resort will be an equally world-class resort with year-round alpine offerings,” said the company Extell that is behind the project.
We understand it will be closer to the up-market resort of Deer Valley, than Park City Mountain Resort.
In the words of the backers it will be “a four-season recreation opportunity including skiing, fly-fishing, boating, hiking, mountain biking and golfing.
The Resort Village will include restaurants, night clubs, spas and other amenities.
However not everyone is happy and some of the locals I spoke to questioned the need for another ski area where there are many in closed proximity to Salt Lake City.
Others see it as a money-making real estate development.
Overall though there seems to be support.
Here is what the skiing terrain currently looks like.
At the moment the project is just a large brown hole in the ground.
But work is underway.
Lorries go in and out.
It even has its own sign from the freeway.
– Gross development: 615,055 square feet
– Hotel guestrooms: 387 guestrooms – 100 of which will be reserved for the Military at preferred pricing based on rank
– Private for sale condominiums and residences: 55 residences
– Parking Stalls: 267 underground; 11 street-parking stalls
– Eight levels above grade and four levels below grade for a total of 12 floors
– Approximately 75,000 square feet of commercial, military concierge, ballrooms, pre-conference and conference, restaurants, retail, coffee, sundries, and bar/tavern
The resort is being built on land used by the military and it will offer special deals to ex-military.
The Military Installation Development Authority (MIDA) helps the development of military land in Utah and has been closely involved.
It aims to strengthen the military presence in Utah while stimulating the state’s economy.
Rooms and facilities are being set aside for former military personnel at preferential rates.
This will be the only MIDA facility at a United States ski resort.